ICT Roller Coaster


So at this point I'm feeling like the above image in so many ways.  Firstly this trip is like my experience of a roller coast (having just experienced the new seaward Jet Ski ride its familiar).  At times I’m excited and feel like I get it and can go with the flow; but then there are waves of complete panic and feelings of being out of control - (I HATE being out of control). Wikis, Vokis, links, blogs - it’s all meshed into one - at this point I read the activity I am supposed to do and feel completely inept.  (A feeling I never want any student in my class to feel). A feeling that is crippling and anxiety provoking and rather new for me!!   The lack of access to a human voice/face is really difficult in these times. No matter how loud I talk to my emails they don't answer!! Again, the feeling of isolation and self doubt is not something I would like a student to experience in this manner.  In addition the continual flow of group panic/ insecurity flowing into my inbox from my peers at times is far from reassuring.  So, currently my experience of this mode of learning - is not very positive - I was desperate for a chat with the lecture last night, and alas technology failure!! No voice/face again, just email and more text.  How I would love to sit under a tree with some humans and discuss this course - I could even bring my lap top is necessary!  


The other part of this picture that reflects where I'm at is the monks - I mean monks on a roller coaster - not a typical scene.  At times I'm wondering if I fit the world of education as it stands. Actually I'm really glad I know I don't fit it - I have a passion for alternative education.  It’s been reassuring though that every so often I find and article or video that suggests that 'the times are a changing' and the push to produce corporate citizens rather than creative individuals is slowly on its way out.   Maybe I will get to sit under a tree with students and their lap tops after all... :) 

Anyway, that’s where I'm at currently; thanks for listening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment